Juicing: Back in the Saddle!
I’ve been away from my precious, precious juicer since before my Christmas vacation, but today had the opportunity to whip up something delicious thanks to my SPUD delivery. I ordered their “Organic Detox Juicing Box” delivered to my home and opened up a bin full of veggie goodness. OH! I’d forgotten how yummy these juices are! At the first taste, my body instantly made a happy face. AND, it’s the perfect addition to “Total Health Month.” What an excellent way to get a blast of vitamins first thing in the AM.
Today’s juice was kamikaze style: basically I pulled out a bunch of thing from the box and threw them into my juicer. I made a bigger whack of juice than I usually do, as life is busy these days and I wanted to have two days worth. Now, ideally you should drink your juices ASAP after juicing them, but sometimes we gotta make some compromises.
- 1 lemon
- 4 carrots
- 4 stalks celery
- 1/2 cucumber
- handful of parsley
- slice ginger
The lemon, carrot and ginger keep it sweet and zippy, while the cucumber and celery add a” clarity” taste that I really like.
Nutritional Info (this is for two servings, keep in mind )
- 100 g of lemon (about 1) yields:
- 88% of RDA Vitamin C (53 mg)
- calories 30
- 400 g carrot (about 4):
- a whopping 1320% RDA Vitamin A (66,000 IU)
- 40% RDA Vitamin C (12 mg)
- 36% Potassium (640 mg)
- 64% Vitamin K (16.4 mcg)
- also some B6, Folate, Vitamin E, Thiamin, Manganese
- calories 160
- 200 g of celery (roughly 4 stalks, though this can vary)
- 18% RDA Folate (72 mg)
- 72% RDA Vitamin K (60 mg)
- 14% RDA Potassium (520 mg)
- 6% RDA Magnesium (22 mg)
- calories = 30
- 100 g cucumber (1/2 medium cucumber)
- 9% RDA vitamin K (7.2 mcg)
- trace elements manganese, copper, potassium
- calories = 20
- Total calories: 240 for 2 servings